Vega+ Shipping Dates
- End of September 2016
- October 2016
- In time for Xmas 2016
- February 2017
- A "few weeks" from March 10th 2017
- Summer 2017
- 8 weeks from August 9th (October 4th, 2017)
- Mid October 2017
- April 2018
- May 8th - 12th 2018
- May 12th 2018
- May 31st 2018 (Indiegogo deadline)
- June 15th 2018
- July 6th 2018
- August 2nd 2018 (Shareholders poll to remove directors)
World of Spectrum
Searchable threads in one long post:
Initial Production Run
Thanks to Chris Thacker's thorough investigation, it can now be revealed that approximately 50 V2 Vega+ prototypes are set to be released between the 8th and 12th of May 2018. However, 50 units is a far cry from what was promised to backers when they paid £100 for one of the first units from the completed design along with a £5 or £10 shipping charge for their orders.
Monday 15th February, 2016
The Vega+ Indiegogo campaign opens, hoping to raise £100,000 to manufacture the first 2,500 units in the UK from a complete development of the Vega+:
Sunday 27th March, 2016
The Vega+ Indiegogo campaign closes, having raised £366,655 (367% of the product’s goal). The initial production run should therefore be an absolute minimum of 3,500 units and considering the 2 year delay, closer to 5,000 units.
Fast Slow forward 2 and a bit years...
Thursday 3rd May, 2018
George Cropper releases a video called THE VEGA+ - MANUFACTURING INFO AND SMOKESCREENS detailing the very small production run (of the 5000 required) that has taken place:
- PWT - Printed Wiring Technologies have produced approximately 50 boards running the so called Vega+ using an A20 arm processor. They're located in Welwyn Garden City.
- HDTooling in Ashford have also produced tooling for D-Pad, buttons and the Vega shell - approximately 50 shells - only black produced.
- Approximately 200 of each button was produced (as previously seen in an image shown on RCLs on montage), and the D-Pad has been manufactured to similar levels.
- The PWT board still requires a simple GPIO board for the LCD screen to work so they're going down the route of cheap and dirty Chinese 2.5" screens. Which will have an 8-bit data transfer rate, but will suffice for the 8-bit bus they're using.
- RCL's current address, 5 Technology Park in Colindale is home to Computers Unlimited, who are the technology support services division for Exertis Gem. They specialise in the technical expertise and software creation for niche gadgets supplied through the Exertis Gem network. It is suspected they will be flashing the devices since RCL didn't pay the last bill from SMS Electronics in Beeston.
- RCL may choose to courier the 50 devices out themselves due to the small number manufactured rather than using Gem to distribute the devices.
- The shells are all black because the number of coloured units required is so small they would have a huge cost added due to waste plastic material to flush the system and the tooling.
Backers prepare for disappointment knowing that a maximum of 50 V2 Vega+ prototypes will be sent out in the coming week. There will be no PEGI rating for the device, it will ship in a plain white box, and illegally contain the same 1000 games as the original ZX Vega despite approximately 500 titles having permission revoked.
Latest Funky Spectrum RCL Videos
RCL really do seem to be trying to "go for broke" here, with their lawyers now contacting them to chase over a quarter of a million pounds in unpaid fees...
Just when you think it couldn't get any more ridiculous...
Seems like someone at RCL doesn't like the truth being published online...
"Our Indiegogo campaign is to raise funds to manufacture the first 2,500 or more units of the Vega+ in the UK, and to prepare us for the second production run."
— RCL (15/02/2016)
- All refunds processed: ✘
- Roll of honour email: ✘
- Address confirmation: ✘
- Battery specification: ✘
- PEGI certification: ✘
- Final specs released: ✘
- Games list released: ✘
- Finished box design: ✘
- Manual released: ✘
- Working website: ✘
- Final devices made: 0 ✘
- Small claims victories: 0 ✘
- Prototypes made: 20-30 ✔